In the business world, leadership is one of the most important aspects in determining the success or failure. Leadership skills are vital to every company and it’s employees. There are many different types of leaders that can be found in any organization which makes being a leader difficult because everyone has their own way of leading.
We have, in a previous article, highlighted six key steps in being a good leader:
1. Be a good listener
2. Be open to change
3. Don’t be too controlling
4. Give credit where it’s due
5. Encourage your team members and give them the opportunity to grow
6. Ask for feedback from your team members on how you can improve as a leader
We have looked at the first two steps in greater detail, so we will continue our look into the points which consider the importance of leadership, and how you can be a better leader.
Avoid being controlling as much as you can
Each leader has their own style and personality, and this will influence how you behave and react. It is important to find a leadership style which works well with your personality. If you find yourself going against your natural instincts at all times to fit with a perceived leadership style, it probably isn’t the best option for you.
Therefore, if you are keen to avoid being controlling as a leader, please consider the following tips:
1. Be clear about the expectations for your employees
2. Empower them to make decisions on their own
3. Allow them to take risks without feeling like they’re going to be punished if it doesn’t work out
4. Give feedback in a timely manner, but don’t micromanage or over-correct mistakes
Look to give credit to others when its due
Successful people know that the key to success is building a team of experts. It’s important to give credit where it’s due, and when you do your company shines brighter.
When you give credit to others, it encourages other people to come up with their ideas and to take the initiative. Leaders that take all the credit for themselves will soon find that no one else is happy to share ideas or go beyond the minimum.
In the long run, this is harmful for you and the business.
When giving credit to others, remember these steps:
1. Give credit to others when you use their ideas, knowledge, skills, or information
2. When giving credit to someone else, make sure they are aware of the situation and have agreed with it
3. Make sure that your words accurately reflect what was said so as not to misrepresent them
If you would like to learn more about how you can be a good leader, we can help. At Global Solution Services, we offer a range of remote training courses, aimed at ensuring you move forward during these challenging times. You can find out more about our training support by visiting our site, or by contacting us online.